Attention! This is a potentially life-threatening condition for your horse. Time is of the essence, contact your veterinarian immediately.Find a Vet
Sleepy Foal Disease
Septocaemia, Joint Ill, Naval Ill
Sleepy foal disease is an acute, potentially fatal condition caused by a bacterial infection of the foal either in utero, during birth or shortly after birth.
- Clinical signs
- Physical exam
- Laboratory tests
- Kim A. Sprayberry, N. Edward Robinson Robinsons Current Therapy in Equine Medicine, 7th Edition Elsevier Health Sciences. 2015
- David R. Hodgson, Catherine McGowan, & Kenneth McKeever The Athletic Horse, 2nd Edition Elsevier Health Sciences. 2014
- McAuliffe, S. B Knottenbelt and Pascoes Color Atlas of Diseases and Disorders of the Horse Elsevier Health Sciences. 2014
- Mair, T., Love, S., Schumacher, J., Smith, R. K., & Frazer, G Equine medicine, surgery and reproduction Elsevier Health Sciences.. 2013
- Hinchcliff, K. W., Kaneps, A. J., & Geor, R. J. Equine sports medicine and surgery .